Joined: 18 May 2010
|Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:23 pm Post subject: Radon Gas causes Lung Cancer
|I would like to educate all Lake Waukomis residents about the danger of Radon Gas being at high levels in your home.
Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas that occurs naturally from the decay of Uranium and radium in the ground.
Lake Waukomis has a higher concentration of Radon gas than normal.
Radon Gas is a serious health risk. It is the leading cause of cancer to non-smokers and the 2nd leading cause for smokers.
Radon in the home attaches to particles in the air, like dust, and are breathed in by people and pets in the home. It only takes one alpha particle, which is emitted from radon gas as it decays, to damage the DNA in one of the cells in the lungs.
The level of Radon can vary from home to home, contingent on several factors.
The state of Missouri will send you a Radon "kit" to test your home free. It is two little plastic vials with a cap that is opened and kept in your home for 3 or 4 days. After the testing, you simply screw the cap back on and send back to the state and they notify you of the results. Anything over 4.0 is not good. A Radon company will "Mitigate" your home to get the Radon to acceptable levels to prevent health problems. Having a level of 4.0 in your home is equivalent to smoking a PACK A DAY OF CIGARETTES.
You also may buy if you want faster action, a kit from Home Depot or others, to do it yourself. You pay the company to send you the results. For the mitigation, a certified company is used to remove the gas from your home. It installs a pipe from ground level to above your roof.
Please google radon gas and the state of Missouri to begin. You may save your life.